Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"C. '81"

"C. '81" written by Alice Notley focuses on the lives of poor individuals throughout society. She states, " We're always looking to borrow five ten or twenty dollars, we only want to have just enough money today." While reading this quote, I made a comparison to my own live. I experienced many times at work where people will come to my boss to ask to "borrow" money: $1, $3, $10, it does not matter how much but they will always ask. I never understood why though. I believe that Notley is trying to show us the issue of equality, where the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.
This poem focuses on political issues, making it different from the other poems. One similarity between all the poems is that Notley always refers to a guy name Ted. I believe Notley is trying to tell the readers a biography through this poem, and that money will always have power on people

1 comment:

Christian said...

I also made many comparisons to my own life situations because I witness these things daily. I agree that this is a form of biographical poetry as there are many implications that this were her own life.